Attendance allowance is a monthly payment provided by the government to people with disabilities over the state pension age who may need additional help to complete their daily tasks and activities.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for Attendance Allowance you must meet all the following criteria:
- Be over the state pension age
- Have a physical or mental disability (or both)
- Your disability is severe enough to need additional help or supervision
- You must have needed the additional help for at least 6 months
- Be in Great Britain at the time of your claim
- Have been in Great Britain for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you are a refugee)
- Be habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands
- Not be subject to immigration control (unless you’re a sponsored immigrant)
There are some exceptions to these rules such as if you are terminally ill or live in a care home.
If you are terminally ill there’s no qualifying period for how long you’ve had your illness.
If you live in a care home and pay for all your care home costs yourself, you could be eligible for Attendance Allowance.
What You’ll Get
Attendance allowance is paid at two different rates depending on how much help the claimant needs. Your earning or savings do not affect how much Attendance Allowance you will receive.
The two rates are:
Lower Rate £60 per week – when frequent help or constant supervision during the day, or supervision at night is required.
Higher Rate £89.60 per week – when help or supervision is needed throughout the day and night, you you are terminally ill.
If you receive Attendance Allowance, you could extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, or Council Tax Reduction.
How to Claim
You can find out how to apply for Attendance Allowance and answers to any other questions you may have on the GOV.UK website here.
How Carelink Can Help
Providing those who may be vulnerable living alone the confidence and ability to do so is our mission here at Carelink. If you receive any of the benefits mentioned above, a personal alarm could be for you.