“It’s the most wonderful time of the year”
A perfect winter song that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling associated with Christmas time. It doesn’t however fully stem the winter weather and this is why you need to ensure that you are prepared for any cold weather scenarios whether you are at home or away with family and friends. You might be thinking: “But Christmas is over, I don’t need to worry about the weather now surely!” However, it is estimated that temperatures could drop extremely low, with a bout of January snow hitting the UK!
Kill the chill in your home
Preparing your home is vital in keeping vital warmth in your home. Fortunately, there are many different tips for ensuring you maximise the potential that your property has in retaining heat. Here a few simple but effective ways of keeping warm this winter:
- Curtains. These are essential in providing insulation against the windows and acts like a barrier keeping the warm air in and cold air out
- Draught Excluders. Closing off all gaps on doors is key to keeping a single room or the whole property from getting cold. Investing in these will prevent the warmth from escaping.
- Windows. Sounds obvious however making sure they are closed and that there are no gaps in between the window frame and the wall of the property.
- Floors. Having a carpet helps to insulate the room. Underlay also helps to insulate by providing that extra layer between the hard floor and your carpet.
- Extra layers. It sounds exactly like the sort of thing you’d tell your kids, but if you’re feeling the chill, wrap up with extra layers.
Don’t fall ill, prepare your body!
Preparing your body is essential for keeping fit and well this Winter. Here are some things you can do to prepare for the snap.
- Get a flu jab to assist with fighting off any unwanted winter illnesses. Firstly, ensuring you are vaccinated is a key step to take when maintaining your health.
- Regular exercise. Walking counts as exercise so every little helps.
- Eat a well balanced diet, as fuel for the body is key for keeping warm. In addition, make sure you’re drinking enough water.
- All round general hygiene is key to ward of any surface germs spreading
- Don’t forget to stock up on medication to ensure you don’t run out
Driving this winter?
Make sure to take extra time to complete your journey. Making sure that your car is well equipped for the trip, taking essentials such as water, spare clothes and tools will help. On top of this, keeping tabs on the weather forecast will also help when planning your journey. Remember, if you’re unsure, it’s best to play it safe.
Putting together a few essential things at home can make all the difference. The main issues at this time of year tends to be around heating systems, which are vital in keeping the home warm. Regular tests are key in detecting any possible faults and preventing any winter blues.
Keeping warm by wrapping up in several thin layers can help stave off the cold. Additionally, adding a hot water bottle can help provide a temporary heat source and is also cost effective compared to heating an entire room.
Being able to reach out to families and friends if you need anything will give you peace of mind. Above all, having the relevant contact details for your family, friends and utilities are key to keeping in touch with the outside world and if the worst should happen you are well prepared for any scenario. It may also be beneficial to have a Carelink24 service in place to give your family and friends peace of mind knowing that you are safe and that help is just a button click away.